Current photos

First United Methodist Church

New Sanctuary Dedication

window dedication

corner stone laying - 1950

First united methodist church  by: Edith Skinner - 1951

A Partial History

Photos

1922 Sanctuary & 1950's Sunday School

Historical Documents


Full copies, as well as hundreds of other original documents, are located at First UMC.  Sadly, at least two of the older churches burned (one during the War of Northern Aggression) so some very old records were lost.  The below are provided courtesy of Virginia Lampert.

In 1772, Cumberland Street Methodist class was formed. Twelve years later in 1784,  it became the Cumberland Street Methodist Church, making the church the second oldest United Methodist Church in the Tidewater area.  First UMC was the parent church for several Methodist congregations in Norfolk and Virginia Beach.  Members of First UMC were instrumental in establishing Virginia Wesleyan College.  Norfolk Collegiate Academy also has ties with First UMC as members of the congregation were head mistress, staff, and teachers.  In the 1960s First Methodist was the largest Methodist congregation in Tidewater.  Although the numbers have decreased the Spirit remains strong and vital.

History